Opened 11 months ago

Closed 9 months ago

#31248 closed enhancement (fixed)

Make tableaux error messages more precise

Reported by: gh-bollu Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: sage-9.3
Component: combinatorics Keywords:
Cc: Merged in:
Authors: Siddharth Bhat Reviewers: Jonathan Kliem
Report Upstream: N/A Work issues:
Branch: 651ec68 (Commits, GitHub, GitLab) Commit: 651ec68996a704b2132c9a20f9c7367631ddf9be
Dependencies: Stopgaps:

Status badges

Description

The current error messages of the standard and semistandard tableaux assert that rows are weakly increasing and columns are strictly increasing. On failing this property, a generic error of the form

"The rows of <<specific tableaux>> are not weakly increasing"

is printed. I propose to make the information more precise, to print errors of the form:

"row (1) is not weakly increasing between columns (2, 3)"

Change History (15)

comment:1 Changed 11 months ago by gh-bollu

  • Authors set to gh-bollu

comment:2 Changed 11 months ago by git

  • Commit set to 8563db738f43e3fac0c246e73ebfc010eea17c1f

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

8563db7Trac #31248: add more precise error messages for tableaux

comment:3 Changed 11 months ago by gh-bollu

  • Status changed from new to needs_review

comment:4 Changed 11 months ago by gh-kliem

Thank you for contributing.

Can you please fill in "Author" and "Component" field.

Why did you remove the first line "coding: utf-8"?

comment:5 Changed 11 months ago by gh-kliem

  • Reviewers set to Jonathan Kliem

comment:6 Changed 11 months ago by git

  • Commit changed from 8563db738f43e3fac0c246e73ebfc010eea17c1f to 7393acfc1273ab37bcab42419ac37418f00d5961

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

7393acfre-add incorrectly removed encoding line

comment:7 Changed 11 months ago by gh-bollu

  • Authors changed from gh-bollu to Siddharth Bhat
  • Component changed from PLEASE CHANGE to combinatorics

Fixed the accidentally removed utf-8 coding line.

comment:8 Changed 11 months ago by gh-kliem

There is a typo yet:

-            # we know that len(rnext) < len(rcur) as the SST cannot have
+            # we know that len(rnext) <= len(rcur) as the SST cannot have
             # more columns in the next row than the current row.
             assert (len(rnext) <= len(rcur))

comment:9 Changed 11 months ago by git

  • Commit changed from 7393acfc1273ab37bcab42419ac37418f00d5961 to 651ec68996a704b2132c9a20f9c7367631ddf9be

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

651ec68fix typo: < should be <= for column strictness

comment:10 Changed 11 months ago by gh-bollu

Fixed typo. What's the etiquette here: Ought I comment when I push a fix, or does the commit message suffice?

comment:11 Changed 11 months ago by gh-kliem

I don't know. I think forced pushes and changed branches are confirmed by email. There might be a message after a few hours after a normal new push as well.

I usually do it like you. When I want people to know that I treated their comments and nothing happens by itself (e.g. I don't get a status update by mail) I just comment that I fixed the issues.

comment:12 Changed 11 months ago by gh-kliem

  • Status changed from needs_review to positive_review

LGTM. Thank you for the improvement.

comment:13 Changed 11 months ago by gh-bollu

Great, thanks! Is there something I need to do to get it to be merged?

comment:14 Changed 11 months ago by gh-kliem

No, the release manager (Volker Braun) takes care of it. A number of people can close tickets for invalidity/duplicate etc, but the actual merging is done by one person only (and a number of bots/scripts that help).

A positively reviewed ticket with green bots and all fields filled in will usually be merged in a week or two or rejected (merge conflict, issues with specific architectures, failing bots). But it might take longer (too many positively review tickets waiting, end of release cycle).

comment:15 Changed 9 months ago by vbraun

  • Branch changed from u/gh-bollu/jan-16-2021-tableaux-precise-errors to 651ec68996a704b2132c9a20f9c7367631ddf9be
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from positive_review to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.