#26423 closed enhancement (fixed)

Move some references from combinat to master reference file

Reported by: jhpalmieri Owned by:
Priority: major Milestone: sage-8.5
Component: documentation Keywords:
Cc: chapoton Merged in:
Authors: John Palmieri Reviewers: Travis Scrimshaw
Report Upstream: N/A Work issues:
Branch: ed036dc (Commits) Commit: ed036dc5fc58d2dff9d1ebbd8e5692f9e1b4e545
Dependencies: #26422 Stopgaps:

Description

Ideally, we would put all references into the master reference file. This handles some of the references in sage/combinat, enough so that a Python 3 build has a chance to succeed in building the documentation.

Change History (14)

comment:1 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

  • Branch set to u/jhpalmieri/combinat-references

comment:2 Changed 16 months ago by git

  • Commit set to 0cd9ad27f91b06fb6845db69e81bd1570fe883fa

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. This was a forced push. New commits:

0cd9ad2trac 26423: move some references from sage/combinat to master ref file.

comment:3 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

Regarding building the documentation with Python 3: if I also delete the sagenb documentation from the reference manual, then I run into this error:

[reference]   File "/Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/sage_builds/PYTHON3/sage-8.4.beta7/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sphinx/search/__init__.py", line 174, in loads
[reference]     if not data or not s.startswith(self.PREFIX.encode()) or not \
[reference] TypeError: startswith first arg must be str or a tuple of str, not bytes

If I fix this by modifying Sphinx (probably not the right choice), the documentation builds in Python 3.

It would be good to track down where this bytes/str problem is coming from: it's probably some information that we're passing incorrectly to Sphinx.

comment:4 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

  • Status changed from new to needs_review

comment:5 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

  • Dependencies set to #26422

comment:6 Changed 16 months ago by chapoton

branch is red...

comment:7 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

I'll try again after #26422 is merged, I think.

comment:8 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

To make the docs build, I removed a reference to <facade-sets>. I shouldn't have done this, so I should restore it once #26422 is merged and this ticket is ready to be worked on again. (So this paragraph is a reminder to myself to do this, and a reminder to anyone else to make sure that I did this.)

I removed it because it produces an error, and I believe that the reason for the error is that in the file sage/categories/sets_cat.py, the top-level class is included in the documentation, but the SubcategoryMethods are omitted, and those include the location to which <facade-sets> is a reference. I don't know why the behavior is different with Python 3 vs. Python 2, but we need a proper fix, and in particular, we don't want to be omitting large chunks of the documentation. (I am guessing that ElementMethods are also omitted, etc.)

We should open a new ticket for that.

comment:9 Changed 16 months ago by jhpalmieri

See #26449 for Sphinx issues.

comment:10 Changed 15 months ago by git

  • Commit changed from 0cd9ad27f91b06fb6845db69e81bd1570fe883fa to 050500639ab0a2820a8ac31b912df85473ed06fb

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. This was a forced push. New commits:

0505006trac 26423: move some references from sage/combinat to master ref file.

comment:11 Changed 15 months ago by jhpalmieri

This is now rebased on top of 8.5.beta1.

comment:12 Changed 15 months ago by git

  • Commit changed from 050500639ab0a2820a8ac31b912df85473ed06fb to ed036dc5fc58d2dff9d1ebbd8e5692f9e1b4e545

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. This was a forced push. New commits:

ed036dctrac 26423: move some references from sage/combinat to master ref file.

comment:13 Changed 15 months ago by tscrim

  • Milestone changed from sage-8.4 to sage-8.5
  • Reviewers set to Travis Scrimshaw
  • Status changed from needs_review to positive_review

Hopefully this will not have any conflicts...

comment:14 Changed 15 months ago by vbraun

  • Branch changed from u/jhpalmieri/combinat-references to ed036dc5fc58d2dff9d1ebbd8e5692f9e1b4e545
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from positive_review to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.