Opened 2 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

#23948 closed enhancement (fixed)

has_cyclotomic_factor for polynomials

Reported by: kedlaya Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: sage-8.1
Component: algebra Keywords: sd91
Cc: Merged in:
Authors: Kiran Kedlaya Reviewers: Simon Brandhorst, David Roe
Report Upstream: N/A Work issues:
Branch: 14595cb (Commits) Commit: 14595cb384f26e422ee0aeeba2170ecfca42025a
Dependencies: Stopgaps:

Description

This ticket adds a method has_cyclotomic_factor for polynomials, which returns True if and only if the polynomial has a nontrivial factor which is a cyclotomic polynomial (i.e., if and only if at least one root of the polynomial is a root of unity).

This is an offshoot of #23946.

Change History (23)

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

  • Branch set to u/kedlaya/t/kedlaya/has_cyclotomic_factor

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit set to 4cdc320de7d09e4f72c95910df97d6bd82c3f701

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

f458ed6Remove unrelated patch for Laurent series
4cdc320Fix docstring formatting

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit changed from 4cdc320de7d09e4f72c95910df97d6bd82c3f701 to 82f5d38ef872e17b40f3587697369dc4775cfaa9

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

82f5d38Remove irreducible case (redundant)

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit changed from 82f5d38ef872e17b40f3587697369dc4775cfaa9 to 66293fa1e413076cd8f882fa44d0508e31752cfc

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

6a4253bRemove irreducibility flag
66293faMore corrections

comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit changed from 66293fa1e413076cd8f882fa44d0508e31752cfc to dc1c7f1d37f6c3a7e5c2fc315220d2b3e61d9ddf

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

dc1c7f1More comments in code

comment:6 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

  • Status changed from new to needs_review

comment:7 Changed 2 years ago by edgarcosta

  • Reviewers set to Simon Brandhorst

comment:8 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit changed from dc1c7f1d37f6c3a7e5c2fc315220d2b3e61d9ddf to c164825109557ad45f71421abb35b952a25dbd00

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

c164825Added random doctest

comment:9 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

  • Authors set to Kiran Kedlaya

comment:10 Changed 2 years ago by sbrandhorst

  • Authors Kiran Kedlaya deleted
  • Status changed from needs_review to positive_review

comment:11 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

  • Authors set to Kiran Kedlaya

comment:12 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

For the record, all tests passed on k8s. (There was a failure in src/sage/repl/configuration.py which was unreproducible, so I'm treating it as spurious.)

comment:13 Changed 2 years ago by vbraun

  • Status changed from positive_review to needs_work

Merge conflict

comment:14 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit changed from c164825109557ad45f71421abb35b952a25dbd00 to b8f9a3db6b7c3d3be4748eae5a9f0db21c4e0991

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

b8f9a3dMerge branch 'develop' of git://trac.sagemath.org/sage into t/23948/has_cyclotomic_factor

comment:15 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

  • Status changed from needs_work to needs_review

Weird, I didn't get a merge conflict just now. Anyway, see if this helps.

comment:16 Changed 2 years ago by roed

  • Reviewers changed from Simon Brandhorst to Simon Brandhorst, David Roe
  • Status changed from needs_review to positive_review

Looks good to me.

comment:17 Changed 2 years ago by vbraun

  • Status changed from positive_review to needs_work

Merge conflict

comment:18 Changed 2 years ago by kedlaya

Sorry, I haven't been able to reproduce the merge conflict. Would it be possible to provide more details?

comment:19 Changed 2 years ago by roed

Presumably it's with the next beta, so we'll need to wait until that comes out.

comment:20 Changed 2 years ago by roed

  • Branch changed from u/kedlaya/t/kedlaya/has_cyclotomic_factor to u/roed/t/kedlaya/has_cyclotomic_factor

comment:21 Changed 2 years ago by git

  • Commit changed from b8f9a3db6b7c3d3be4748eae5a9f0db21c4e0991 to 14595cb384f26e422ee0aeeba2170ecfca42025a

Branch pushed to git repo; I updated commit sha1. New commits:

14595cbFix mistaken removal of O function in laurent_series_ring_element

comment:22 Changed 2 years ago by roed

  • Status changed from needs_work to positive_review

Fixed merge conflict

comment:23 Changed 2 years ago by vbraun

  • Branch changed from u/roed/t/kedlaya/has_cyclotomic_factor to 14595cb384f26e422ee0aeeba2170ecfca42025a
  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from positive_review to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.