Opened 8 years ago

Closed 9 months ago

#14633 closed enhancement (invalid)

bad behavior of long outputs in notebook

Reported by: nborie Owned by: jason, mpatel, was, kini
Priority: major Milestone: sage-duplicate/invalid/wontfix
Component: notebook Keywords: output, long
Cc: jdemeyer, chapoton Merged in:
Authors: Reviewers:
Report Upstream: Reported upstream. Developers acknowledge bug. Work issues:
Branch: Commit:
Dependencies: Stopgaps:

Status badges

Description

This bug was discovered by Rémi Maurice and I did double check this bad behavior on my own machine...

When using the Sage notebook. here is the way to reproduce the bug:

1 - Produce a too long output in a cell example:

print "Version 1"
for i in range(1000):
    print "too long output"

2 - Visualize the full_output

3 - Erase the content of the cell (if you want...), restart the worksheet (if you want...)

4 - produce another code in the *SAME* cell that have a too long output example:

print "Version 2"
for i in range(1000):
    print "foo bar pouet"

5 - Click to visualize the full_output

At the end, you will only see the first too long output, any new too long computation in the same cell is ignored...

Sorry for my English, feel free to update the description and double check this bug (the two machine were using Sage 5.9).

Change History (12)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by chrisjamesberg

I can verify that this bug still exists in sage 5.10.rc1. Using a mac, OS X 10.8.

Last edited 8 years ago by chrisjamesberg (previous) (diff)

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by jdemeyer

  • Milestone changed from sage-5.11 to sage-5.12

comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by zabrocki

I've thought of this as a "known problem" with the notebook for a long time and I hated that it was something that seems like it wouldn't be fixed soon. I just found that by reloading the page (e.g. command-R on Mac in Firefox, Chrome and Safari) that the full_output.txt is updated to the current version. This isn't ideal since sometimes you re-use a cell and you don't notice that the output isn't what you want it to be.

I found a hack however that might solve the problem.

Right now the text

WARNING: Output truncated!  
full_output.txt

Links to an address like http://localhost:8080/home/admin/187/cells/114/full_output.txt. If instead it links to an address like http://localhost:8080/home/admin/187/cells/114/full_output.txt?blah where blah is a random bit of text that is generated whenever the cell is recalculated then the browser generally reloads the page correctly.

Incidentally, this same bug is reported in #13648 and #13585

comment:4 Changed 7 years ago by vbraun_spam

  • Milestone changed from sage-6.1 to sage-6.2

comment:5 Changed 7 years ago by vbraun_spam

  • Milestone changed from sage-6.2 to sage-6.3

comment:6 Changed 7 years ago by vbraun_spam

  • Milestone changed from sage-6.3 to sage-6.4

comment:7 Changed 7 years ago by kcrisman

  • Type changed from defect to enhancement

This is an actual useful suggestion - otherwise we just say it's more of a browser issue than Sage issue.

comment:8 Changed 7 years ago by kcrisman

  • Report Upstream changed from N/A to Reported upstream. Developers acknowledge bug.

comment:9 Changed 7 years ago by kcrisman

Alternately, jdemeyer has the following suggestion, from #13585:

Since the full_output.txt files generated by the notebook are often changed, the client web browser should always ask for a new version instead of retrieving a cached version. We need to add the right HTTP headers to instruct the browser to always request a new version of full_output.txt from the server.

Or perhaps even both could be done.

comment:10 Changed 7 years ago by kcrisman

  • Cc jdemeyer added

comment:11 Changed 9 months ago by mkoeppe

  • Cc chapoton added
  • Milestone changed from sage-6.4 to sage-duplicate/invalid/wontfix
  • Status changed from new to needs_review

Proposing to close all sagenb tickets as outdated, so that all remaining open tickets in the notebook component are about the Jupyter notebook.

comment:12 Changed 9 months ago by chapoton

  • Resolution set to invalid
  • Status changed from needs_review to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.