Ticket #9739 (closed defect: fixed)
Handle duplicate file basenames when testing multiple files in parallel
|Reported by:||mpatel||Owned by:||mvngu|
|Component:||doctest coverage||Keywords:||doctest scripts race condition unique filenames ptestlong -tp|
|Cc:||drkirkby, jhpalmieri, leif, robertwb, jdemeyer||Work issues:|
|Report Upstream:||N/A||Reviewers:||Robert Bradshaw, Leif Leonhardy|
|Authors:||Mitesh Patel, John Palmieri||Merged in:||sage-4.7.2.alpha3|
Description (last modified by jhpalmieri) (diff)
When we test
runs the new file through python, and deletes it. This can cause collisions when we test in parallel multiple files with the same basename, e.g., __init__, all, misc, conf, constructor, morphism, index, tests, homset, element, twist, tutorial, sagetex, crystals, cartesian_product, template, ring, etc.
There's a similar problem with testing non-library files, which sage-doctest first effectively copies to SAGE_TESTDIR.
See sage-devel for background.
There's now a meta-ticket for all doctest-related issues / tickets, #11337.
I don't know much about this, so don't feel able to work on it.
But for those that do, perhaps a sub-optimal solution is a better temporary measure than a complete industrial strength bullet-proof solution.
Normally I don't like "quick fixes" that don't do the job properly, but in this case it seems if something is not done, then the problem will remain open forever, as nothing has actually been done on it for 7 months.
Sometimes I feel that trac tickets get held up for unnecessary long periods due to a reviewer being over pedantic and wanting things outside the scope of the original ticket, which would be better put on another ticket.
- Cc drkirkby, jhpalmieri added
- Status changed from new to needs_review
- Milestone set to sage-4.6
- Authors set to Mitesh Patel
comment:18 Changed 3 years ago by jdemeyer
- Keywords doctest scripts added
- Priority changed from critical to blocker
- Milestone changed from sage-4.6 to sage-4.6.1
comment:35 in reply to: ↑ description Changed 2 years ago by forextrading11
- Description modified (diff)
- Cc Marian, Rosales added; drkirkby, jhpalmieri, leif, robertwb, jdemeyer removed
- Component changed from doctest to build
- Summary changed from Handle duplicate file basenames when testing multiple files in parallel to Forex trading - Expert
- Priority changed from blocker to trivial
- Keywords currency trading, forex analysis, forex trading, online forex trading added; doctest scripts removed
- Type changed from defect to task
comment:36 Changed 2 years ago by jason
- Description modified (diff)
- Cc drkirkby, jhpalmieri, leif, robertwb, jdemeyer added; Marian, Rosales removed
- Component changed from build to doctest
- Summary changed from Forex trading - Expert to Handle duplicate file basenames when testing multiple files in parallel
- Priority changed from trivial to blocker
- Keywords doctest scripts added; currency trading, forex analysis, forex trading, online forex trading removed
- Type changed from task to defect
comment:39 follow-up: ↓ 40 Changed 2 years ago by jdemeyer
- Milestone changed from sage-4.6.2 to sage-4.7
comment:55 in reply to: ↑ 54 Changed 22 months ago by jhpalmieri
- Status changed from needs_work to needs_review
- Authors changed from Mitesh Patel to Mitesh Patel, John Palmieri
comment:67 in reply to: ↑ 66 ; follow-up: ↓ 68 Changed 22 months ago by leif
- Reviewers changed from Robert Bradshaw to Robert Bradshaw, Leif Leonhardy
comment:86 in reply to: ↑ 85 Changed 21 months ago by leif
- Keywords race condition unique filenames ptestlong -tp added
- Status changed from needs_review to positive_review
comment:87 Changed 21 months ago by leif
- Status changed from positive_review to closed
- Resolution set to fixed
- Merged in set to sage-4.7.2.alpha3