Ticket #6743 (needs_info enhancement)
cygwin metaticket: port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin): stage 1 -- make building Sage automatic
|Reported by:||was||Owned by:||was|
|Component:||porting: Cygwin||Keywords:||sd31 sd32|
|Cc:||dimpase, mhansen, jpflori, kcrisman, SimonKing||Work issues:|
|Report Upstream:||N/A||Reviewers:||Jean-Pierre Flori, Dmitrii Pasechnik, Karl-Dieter Crisman, Mike Hansen, William Stein, Luis Tabera|
Description (last modified by jpflori) (diff)
The goal of this ticket is that a person can:
- Install Cygwin and certain standard Cygwin packages (listed below).
- Extract the Sage tarball and type "make"
and have everything build automatically with no errors.
The goal is not that the resulting build works or Sage starts up (this is #13841), but if that happens as well, this will be great. Adding checks for all these prereqs, if necessary, will also be part of a future ticket.
Most recent trials and a lot more archived status detail is at http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/wiki/CygwinPort
Current instructions (work on Windows XP and Windows 7 with latest Cygwin)
As below with Sage 5.9.beta0
Here is what to install from Cygwin - use the usual stable binaries.
- make, perl, m4, binutils
- either gcc4-core alone and then use the optional gcc-4.7.2 spkg (the standard gcc-4.6.3 spkg won't be able to compile ecl) or gcc4-core and gcc4-g++ and gcc4-fortran whose versions must match
- Currently, we also need to pull libmpfr4 for obscure reasons upstream that will likely be fixed soon - we hope
- lapack, liblapack-devel (this should automatically pull liblapack0, in fact, just installing liblapack-devel should already) - though we should be able to build ATLAS
- Just to make sure, avoid building in home directories of Windows domain users, as they are treated in a special way by Windows (and Cygwin).
- It's a good idea that all the pathnames do not contain capital letters (Windows is case-insensitive in this way, unlike Unices), spaces, etc., see #13343
- Similarly, do not test without making sure that SAGE_TESTDIR does not contain spaces.
- Also, don't forget to export SAGE_PORT=yes (only needed the first time you issue make though, not after failures (memleak, rebase...) and relaunching the build)!
Install the following spkgs ahead of time, e.g. in SAGE_ROOT/spkg/standard/ before compiling
- Currently none
You may have to add patches during the build of the Sage library. Once it fails, do (assuming you are in SAGE_ROOT)
./sage -sh cd devel/sage <import the patches - you may need to make ~/.hgrc> cd ../.. ./sage -b <assuming all goes well here> touch spkg/installed/sage-5.6.rc0 # or whatever the version number is exit
which will bring you back to your normal shell.
Patches currently needed for:
- Currently none
There is (or was) a very old binary of Cygwin available here:
- Summary changed from port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin) to port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin): stage 1
comment:11 Changed 4 years ago by was
- Description modified (diff)
- Summary changed from port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin): stage 1 to port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin): stage 1 -- make building Sage completely automatic
comment:15 Changed 3 years ago by was
- Summary changed from port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin): stage 1 -- make building Sage completely automatic to cygwin metaticket: port Sage to Microsoft Windows (via Cygwin): stage 1 -- make building Sage automatic
comment:61 in reply to: ↑ 60 Changed 10 months ago by kcrisman
comment:73 in reply to: ↑ 72 ; follow-ups: ↓ 77 ↓ 78 Changed 5 months ago by jdemeyer
comment:80 in reply to: ↑ 78 ; follow-up: ↓ 81 Changed 5 months ago by jdemeyer
comment:116 follow-ups: ↓ 118 ↓ 120 ↓ 235 Changed 4 months ago by jpflori
- Cc kcrisman added
- Status changed from new to needs_review
comment:121 follow-up: ↓ 122 Changed 4 months ago by jpflori
- Status changed from needs_review to needs_work
comment:150 in reply to: ↑ 149 ; follow-up: ↓ 152 Changed 3 months ago by jpflori
comment:154 in reply to: ↑ 152 Changed 3 months ago by kcrisman
comment:160 in reply to: ↑ 155 ; follow-up: ↓ 161 Changed 3 months ago by kcrisman
- Status changed from needs_work to needs_review
- Reviewers set to Jean-Pierre Flori, Dmitrii Pasechnik, Karl-Dieter Crisman, Mike Hansen, William Stein
comment:167 follow-up: ↓ 169 Changed 3 months ago by kcrisman
- Reviewers changed from Jean-Pierre Flori, Dmitrii Pasechnik, Karl-Dieter Crisman, Mike Hansen, William Stein to Jean-Pierre Flori, Dmitrii Pasechnik, Karl-Dieter Crisman, Mike Hansen, William Stein, Luis Tabera
comment:188 in reply to: ↑ 187 Changed 2 months ago by dimpase
- Cc SimonKing added
- Status changed from needs_review to needs_info
comment:206 follow-up: ↓ 209 Changed 2 months ago by kcrisman
comment:236 follow-up: ↓ 240 Changed 7 weeks ago by kcrisman
comment:244 in reply to: ↑ 230 ; follow-up: ↓ 245 Changed 7 weeks ago by kcrisman
- Dependencies set to #14406
comment:253 in reply to: ↑ 250 ; follow-up: ↓ 255 Changed 7 weeks ago by jdemeyer
comment:260 follow-up: ↓ 261 Changed 6 weeks ago by kcrisman
- Dependencies changed from #14406 to #14301