Ticket #12161 (closed defect: fixed)
Make Sage App on Mac work right all the time on OS X 10.7 Lion, and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard also
|Reported by:||kcrisman||Owned by:||tbd|
|Cc:||iandrus, was||Work issues:|
|Report Upstream:||N/A||Reviewers:||Georg S. Weber|
|Authors:||Ivan Andrus||Merged in:||sage-5.0.beta6|
Description (last modified by iandrus) (diff)
This ask.sagemath.org question has no fewer than eight users who have had trouble using the Mac app bundle from Snow Leopard on Lion.
Most of the errors seem to look like
$ '/Applications/Sage-4.7.1-OSX-64bit-10.6.app/Contents/Resources/sage/'/sage --notebook Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Applications/Sage-4.7.1-OSX-64bit-10.6.app/Contents/Resources/sage//local/bin/sage-notebook", line 3, in <module> import os, sys, socket File "/Applications/Sage-4.7.1-OSX-64bit-10.6.app/Contents/Resources/sage/local/lib/python/socket.py", line 46, in <module> import _socket ImportError: No module named _socket
when the app is started. Then we told people to try
or the equivalent, and that pretty much uniformly led to an IPython import error.
However, nearly everyone was able to solve the problem by one of
- Installing the new Xcode
- Installing IPython
- Upgrading the system Python
Note that none of these things should have anything to do with Sage running from the app!
Anyway, it seems to all be the same or very similar problems, so I'm making this a ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deployment target thing, even.
Possible solutions that would close this:
- Getting the app bundle to build right on Lion with Xcode 4 and distributing that
- Getting the Xcode 3/Snow Leopard one to work right on Lion
Home base is #11881; we probably shouldn't release a Sage 5.0 that doesn't have a working app bundle on Lion.
Apply trac_12161-re-source-sage-env.patch to the EXTCODE repository.
- Status changed from new to needs_review
- Authors set to Georg S. Weber
comment:13 in reply to: ↑ 10 ; follow-up: ↓ 14 Changed 16 months ago by iandrus
- Reviewers changed from Ivan Andrus to Georg S. Weber
- Authors changed from Georg S. Weber to Ivan Andrus
comment:18 Changed 15 months ago by GeorgSWeber
- Priority changed from major to blocker
- Summary changed from Make Sage App on Mac work right all the time on OS X Lion to Make Sage App on Mac work right all the time on OS X 10.7 Lion, and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard also
comment:21 Changed 15 months ago by jdemeyer
- Status changed from positive_review to closed
- Resolution set to fixed
- Merged in set to sage-5.0.beta6